Will Smith’s upcoming film Fast And Loose is put on hold by Netflix as fallout continues from Oscars slap… after he resigned from the Academy
- Smith, 53, was supposed to shoot the movie Fast And Loose for Netflix
- But the streamer has paused production after his Oscars slap
- Production was complicated after it lost its director before the Oscars
- Apple TV+ hasn’t said if it plans to delay releasing its already-shot Emancipation
Will Smith’s upcoming film Fast And Loose won’t be going into production anytime soon after Netflix put it on the back burner.
The streaming giant has moved the 53-year-old actor’s project to the back burner in the wake of the controversy from his shocking Oscars slap, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film had already lost its intended director prior to Smith slapping comedian and presenting Chris Rock at the ceremony, further complicating the film’s path to being shot.
Screeching halt: Preproduction on Will Smith’s upcoming film Fast And Loose has been put on hold by Netflix in the wake of his shocking slap of Chris Rock at the Oscars; seen March 27
Fast And Loose was originally to be helmed by Deadpool 2 director David Leitch, but he had withdrawn from the project just a week before the Oscars.
A source told THR that both Netflix and Universal had been competing for a new project from Leitch, but the traditional studio appealed to him more than the streamer.
Following the loss, Netflix started urgently searching for a new director to take over on Smith’s project.
After Will Smith shocked audiences at home and in Hollywood when he slapped Chris Rock at the Academy Awards, Netflix opted to put his film on hold.
Bad timing: A week before the Oscars, Smith’s film lost director David Leitch, and Netflix was frantically surging for a replacement before Smith’s slap seen round the world; pictured with Chris Rock on March 27
In the convoluted crime thriller, Smith plays a man who wakes up in Tijuana after suffering a bout of amnesia from an assault.
But as he investigates his origins and regains pieces of his memories, he realizes that he was a crime boss who also worked undercover as a CIA agent.
Netflix reportedly was hesitant to move forward with Smith in the lead role following his controversial attack on live television.
However, it’s not known if the project will be killed, or if Netflix will just find another star and director pair to lead it.
Convoluted: Smith would play a man suffering amnesia who realizes that he used to be a crime boss working as an undercover agent for the CIA; seen March 27
Smith still has some projects coming up that were in the works prior to his Oscars debacle.
He has already completed film on the Apple TV+ film Emancipation, in which he plays a slave who escapes from a Louisiana plantation following an especially brutal beating in 1963.
After he joins up with the Union army, photos of his injuries from years past help spur on the anti-slavery campaign.
The film was set to premiere later this year, but so far Apple hasn’t commented on its plans and if they’re still in motion.
Smith had also been developing Bad Boys 4 for Sony, but a source told THR that the project was also on hold for the time being.
On Friday, the actor announced that he head resigns from the Academy, which means that he won’t be able to vote for the Oscars or attend special Academy events in the future.
Up in the air: Smith has already filmed the slave drama Emancipation for Apple TV+, but it’s unclear if the streamer will continue with its plans to release it later this year; seen March 27
However, he will still be eligible for future Oscar nominations.
‘I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate,’ he wrote in a statement.
‘Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason,’ Smith concluded.
The actor may still face disciplinary measures from the Academy despite his voluntary resignation.