Parvovirus has been described by the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals as a ‘nasty virus’ which attacks a dogs intestine causing them to become dehydrated and suffered diarrhoea and sickness
Dog owners are being warned against a new strain of parvovirus affecting fully-vaccinated dogs.
It comes after two dogs tested positive for parvovirus in 24 hours at The Liverpool Vets, based in Cleveland Square.
The charity People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) describes parvovirus as: “A nasty virus that attacks the intestines causing severe vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration in dogs.
“It’s very contagious and spreads in poo particles. Unvaccinated puppies, less than six-months-old, are particularly prone to parvovirus infections and often get the most severe signs.”
Sign up to our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.
The Liverpool Vets say the virus is affecting both non-vaccinated and fully-vaccinated dogs, making them very poorly, reports the ECHO.
He said that an 18-week-old dog called Balou, which had been vaccinated at eight and 10 weeks, was confirmed positive for the virus on Thursday.
The spokesperson added: “Please be careful out there and if your dog has vomiting or diarrhoea, get them to the vet sooner rather than later.
“There is no cure for parvo, but early support with a drip and anti sickness plus antibiotics will help.”
The warning from the Liverpool Vets come after another vets in the city warned of a spike in the virus.
Two weeks ago, a senior vet from The Vet Liverpool told the ECHO she had noticed a spike in parvovirus cases among young dogs in the Liverpool area.
Liz, from The Vet Liverpool, said: “We have been treating an increased number of young vaccinated dogs who have contracted parvovirus in the Liverpool area.
“Dogs typically present with acute onset vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia and lethargy and owners are asked to be vigilant and seek veterinary advice if they are concerned about their pet.”
Additionally, Walton resident Megan Bradley has warned pet owners to see the vet immediately if their dogs begin vomiting.
She told the ECHO in February that her five-month old Rottweiler had died after contracting parvovirus.
Do you have a dog story to share? Email email@example.com.