WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – The Kentucky Derby is this weekend and Chef Brad Hagler from Savor Southern Kitchen joined Bill Murray in the WECT kitchen to share some of his favorite recipes for a great Kentucky Derby Day party.
Hagler showcased a miniature version of Kentucky Hot Browns from The Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. Hagler said these open-faced turkey sandwiches with tomatoes and Béchamel sauce are also known as the Kentucky state sandwich.
His spicy pimento cheese dip is a great accompaniment for your favorite crackers and Hagler says you can enjoy this with your favorite pecan pie. Hagler’s Kentucky Derby pecan pies contain chocolate as well as bourbon.
The 148th Kentucky Derby is this Saturday and WECT has complete coverage of the world’s most famous horse race. Post time is 6:57 pm Saturday.
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Dark brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Light brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Corn syrup (light) – 1 1/2 cups
Butter – 1/4 cup
Vanilla – 1.5 teaspoons
Chopped pecans – 1 1/2 cups
Bourbon – 1/4 cup
Chocolate chips – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 4
9 inch pie shell – 1
1) Boil sugars and corn syrup together for 2 minutes, allow to cool slightly.
2) In separate bowl, whip eggs and slowly add into sugar mixture.
3) Add bourbon, vanilla, pecans, and chocolate chips then mix well.
4) For in pie shell.
5) Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 35-45 minutes.
Kentucky Hot Brown
Makes 2 sandwiches, cut into 1/4 pieces for mini servings.
For Bechamel Sauce (or use high quality alfredo sauce):
Heavy cream – 1 1/2 cups
Whole milk – 1/2 cup
Pecorino Romano Cheese – 1/2 cup (1 tablespoon for garnish)
Nutmeg – pinch
Salt & pepper – to taste
Sliced Turkey Breast – 12 oz.
Texas toast – 4 slices
Bacon – 4 slices
Roma tomatoes – 8 slices
1) In saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour.
2) Continue to whisk over low/medium heat to foam the roux.
3) Whisk in heavy cream and milk for 2/3 minutes until cream begins to simmer then remove from heat.
4) Whisk in Pecorino cheese until smooth, then add nutmeg and salt and pepper.
5) Toast the bread.
6) Top each with 6 oz. turkey and 4 slices of Roma tomatoes.
7) For sauce over the top then broil until cheese begins to brown and bubble.
8) Top with 2 pieces of bacon and garnish with Pecorino.
Shredded Sharp Cheddar – 8 cups
Mayo – 3/4 cups
Dijon mustard – 2.5 tablespoons
Roasted red peppers – 1 long or 2 small
Texas Pete – 2 teaspoons
Worcestershire Sauce – 1/8 Cup
Granulated garlic – 1.5 teaspoons
Onion powder – 1 tablespoon
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
1) Mix well.
2) Refrigerate if not served immediately.
Copyright 2022 WECT. All rights reserved.