Your search for the ultimate salad is over. This is it… the one that has all the fancy-pants elements you love and crave in a single, extraordinary bowl of goodness. It’s a chop-and-toss situation, packed with gorgeous, nourishing, and hydrating ingredients that will treat your taste buds right. It’s one of those recipes that’ll wow the crowd at parties, picnics, barbecues, and endless summer celebrations.
A few notes on this recipe:
• Herbs: You can swap in parsley or cilantro for the mint or basil.
• Veggies: You can add chopped bell pepper, corn, red onion, really anything goes. You can even add chickpeas.
• Quinoa: Any color will work! You can use 3 cups of leftover cooked quinoa, with any seasoning. You can also swap 3 cups of cooked farro for the quinoa. For foolproof fluffy quinoa every time: bring one part quinoa to two parts water (or broth) to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for about ~10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for ~5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and voilà, perfectly light and fluffy quinoa!
• Cheese: You can use feta if you prefer. Or, omit completely for vegan dish.
• Dressing: I recommend tasting after mixing everything with the dressing and adding extra lemon juice, salt, and pepper to adjust for personal preference. You can swap in apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar if you prefer and add lemon zest to bolden the lemon flavor.
- Prep time
- Total Time
This recipe makes ~6 servings
- • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- • 2 broth cups
- • 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- • 4 Tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
- • 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- • ½ English cucumber, chopped
- • ½ cup shell-off pistachio nuts
- • ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- • 2 handfuls arugula
- • 1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- • 1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
Add the quinoa and broth to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 to 13 minutes until the broth is absorbed. Once the broth is absorbed, cover with lid, and take off heat to steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stash in fridge to slightly chill. You’ll have about 3 full cups of quinoa.
In a large salad bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and salt. Whisk until well-combined. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, chilled quinoa, and pistachios. Mix everything together.
Right before serving toss in the arugula, basil, mint and parmesan cheese. taste and season with extra lemon juice, salt and ground black pepper.
Try this Superfood Salad!