Some of our household favorites can be toxic to our beloved pets, and experts at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home are warning dog owners of the nine food items they should always avoid
While it can be tempting to give you dog some of your leftovers or share your meal with them, many human foods can be toxic and even fatal to canines.
From chocolate to onions and avocados, some of our staple ingredients and household favorites have the potential to harm your pup.
Experts at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home have warned of the dangers of nine food items that pet owners should avoid feeding their pooches.
A spokesperson for Battersea told Daily Record: “Dogs can be opportunists when it comes to getting their paws on tasty treats, but not all everyday food and drink are safe if they come into contact with them.
Getty Images/Cultura RF)
“If consumed, even small amounts of these items can be fatal so always act immediately and take your dog to the vets.”
Here are nine everyday foods that are poisonous to dogs.
Sign up to our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.
corn on the cob
Although corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine and is potentially fatal if eaten by your pet.
Onions, garlic, chives
The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage.
Signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later.
Avocado plants contain a substance called persin which is in its leaves, fruit and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in canines.
Artificial sweetener (xylitol)
Sweet treats, chewing gum and sugar-free drinks are often laced with an artificial sweetener called xylitol.
Some peanut butters also include xylitol, so it’s important to check the label before using this as a treat.
If your dog digests one of these sweetened foods, they can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.
However enticing chocolate is for humans and dogs alike, chocolate is another poisonous food for dogs.
Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs and panting.
Alcohol has a huge impact on dogs even in small doses.
The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhea and even central nervous system damage.
Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all cost.
These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal.
Grapes and grapes
Raisins are in many of the foods that we love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals so it’s not just the fruit form we should be concerned with.
The active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.
Do you have a dog story to tell? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.